Wireless problem in Fedora13

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 02:10:56 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 06:24 PM, Thomas Taylor was caught red-handed while writing::
> Hi all;
>
> Recently installed Fedora13 and am working through problems.  I've managed to
> solve most by lots of reading documentation and googling but am being frustated
> with wireless not working in KDE.  It's working fine in Gnome but I prefer KDE.
>
> I've tried both using NetworkManager and traditional (ifup) methods but can't
> get associated with my wireless router except in Gnome.  The router (Linksys
> WRT54G) is set to not broadcast ESSID.  I can see it with iwlist wlan0 scan but
> only Gnome will associate with it.
>
> It's my understanding that both Gnome and KDE use NetworkManager but with
> different GUIs.  If that is so, why won't both associate?
>
> Any comments or suggestions gladly accepted.
>
> Thanks, Tom

To debug the problem, you need to add -dd to
/etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant. I myself do not
use the Network Manager.
So in /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant, I added -dd
as you see below.
# Other arguments
#   -u   Enable the D-Bus interface (required for use with NetworkManager)
#   -f   Log to /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log
OTHER_ARGS=" -dd -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log"

Once you add the flag, then
sudo service wpa_supplicant restart

After that, do

tail -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log