Problem with yum database

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jun 25 18:37:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 11:11 -0700, JD wrote:

> On 06/25/2010 11:04 AM, stan was caught red-handed while writing::
> > rpm --rebuilddb
> >
> Thank you stan. I tried it:
> $ sudo rpm --rebuilddb
> rpmdb: Thread/process 7604/3079239360 failed: Thread died in Berkeley DB
> library
> error: db3 error(-30974) from dbenv->failchk: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
> error, run database recovery
> error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30974)
>
> This is not the first time it has happened.
> I have been using fedora since FC6. This
> corruption (due to killing yum) has happened
> to me on at least 3 occasions.
>
> I see it as a big deficiency that killing an app
> should incur such a devastating damage to it's database.
----
maybe you shouldn't kill it while it is running.

Problem doesn't appear to be yum but your Packages database which is
actually maintained by rpm. Yum doesn't write to those files.

Try this...

ps aux|grep rpm
ps aux|grep yum

and make sure that no yum or rpm processes are currently running

Once you have determined that no yum or rpm processes are still
running...

rm /var/lib/rpm/__db.00*

and delete them

Then, try the rebuild command...