[OT] rather advanced video editing question

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 21:10:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Friday 25 June 2010 10:42 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
>
>> What further codecs could I need that I don't already have?
>
> OK. I just found it. I need avidemux-plugins from rpmfusion. I must have
> overlooked it when installing. But I am still not sure how to save as a format
> other than avi.

You can choose the container from the drop down menu on your left. To
just save the audio stream, you need to choose from the menubar,
"Audio >> Save". I have never joined streams from two different files,
so I can't help you with that. There is probably a easy way to do that
too with avidemux, but I would probably use ffmpeg from the command line
as thats the only solution *I* know. So my first attempt would be a
command like this,

$ ffmpeg -vcodec <some_codec> -i video-input -acodec <some_codec> -i
audio-input -t <time> output.file
# the order is important. the man page explains that in the very beginning.

I am not even close to being familiar with multimedia codecs, whatever I
mention here is what I learned through some google searching and `man
ffmpeg' and some playing around over the last month.

Hope this was helpful.
--
Suvayu