Wireless problem in Fedora13

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sat Jun 26 07:08:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:10:56 -0700
JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/24/2010 06:24 PM, Thomas Taylor was caught red-handed while writing::
> > Hi all;
> >
> > Recently installed Fedora13 and am working through problems.  I've managed
> > to solve most by lots of reading documentation and googling but am being
> > frustated with wireless not working in KDE.  It's working fine in Gnome but
> > I prefer KDE.
> >
> > I've tried both using NetworkManager and traditional (ifup) methods but
> > can't get associated with my wireless router except in Gnome.  The router
> > (Linksys WRT54G) is set to not broadcast ESSID.  I can see it with iwlist
> > wlan0 scan but only Gnome will associate with it.
> >
> > It's my understanding that both Gnome and KDE use NetworkManager but with
> > different GUIs.  If that is so, why won't both associate?
> >
> > Any comments or suggestions gladly accepted.
> >
> > Thanks, Tom
> >

> To debug the problem, you need to add -dd to
> /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant. I myself do not
> use the Network Manager.
> So in /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant, I added -dd
> as you see below.
> # Other arguments
> #   -u   Enable the D-Bus interface (required for use with NetworkManager)
> #   -f   Log to /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log
> OTHER_ARGS=" -dd -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log"
>
> Once you add the flag, then
> sudo service wpa_supplicant restart
>
> After that, do
>
> tail -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log
> to see what messages you get.

JD;  Sorry if you thought I was seeming to infer the "-dd" was to fix the
problem.  I obviously didn't explain that well.

Then removed all files related to wireless under /etc/sysconfig (after backing
up).  In KDE, ran network setup, re-installing wireless device/settings.
After a network restart, attempted to bring wireless up but still won't work.

The output of /var/log/wpa_supplicant looks like it associates and then
disconnects as shown below:

OUTPUT OF tail /var/log/wpa_supplicant AFTER RE-INSTALLING WIRELESS:
Trying to associate with ##:##:##:##:##:## (SSID='XXXXXXXXXXX' freq=2427 MHz)
Associated with ##:##:##:##:##:##
WPA: Key negotiation completed with ##:##:##:##:##:## [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to ##:##:##:##:##:## completed (reauth) [id=0
id_str=] WPA: Group rekeying completed with ##:##:##:##:##:## [GTK=CCMP]
CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys

Here are the contents of all files in /etc/sysconfig related to wireless after
the re-installation:
http://pastebin.com/SgwctiXv

Thanks, Tom

--