Wireless problem in Fedora13

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 07:32:57 UTC 2010

On 06/26/2010 12:08 AM, Thomas Taylor was caught red-handed while writing::
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:10:56 -0700
> JD<jd1008 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> On 06/24/2010 06:24 PM, Thomas Taylor was caught red-handed while writing::
>>> Hi all;
>>>
>>> Recently installed Fedora13 and am working through problems.  I've managed
>>> to solve most by lots of reading documentation and googling but am being
>>> frustated with wireless not working in KDE.  It's working fine in Gnome but
>>> I prefer KDE.
>>>
>>> I've tried both using NetworkManager and traditional (ifup) methods but
>>> can't get associated with my wireless router except in Gnome.  The router
>>> (Linksys WRT54G) is set to not broadcast ESSID.  I can see it with iwlist
>>> wlan0 scan but only Gnome will associate with it.
>>>
>>> It's my understanding that both Gnome and KDE use NetworkManager but with
>>> different GUIs.  If that is so, why won't both associate?
>>>
>>> Any comments or suggestions gladly accepted.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Tom
>>>

>> To debug the problem, you need to add -dd to
>> /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant. I myself do not
>> use the Network Manager.
>> So in /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant, I added -dd
>> as you see below.
>> # Other arguments
>> #   -u   Enable the D-Bus interface (required for use with NetworkManager)
>> #   -f   Log to /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log
>> OTHER_ARGS=" -dd -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log"
>>
>> Once you add the flag, then
>> sudo service wpa_supplicant restart
>>
>> After that, do
>>
>> tail -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log
>> to see what messages you get.
>
> JD;  Sorry if you thought I was seeming to infer the "-dd" was to fix the
> problem.  I obviously didn't explain that well.

> Then removed all files related to wireless under /etc/sysconfig (after backing
> up).  In KDE, ran network setup, re-installing wireless device/settings.
> After a network restart, attempted to bring wireless up but still won't work.
>
> The output of /var/log/wpa_supplicant looks like it associates and then
> disconnects as shown below:
>
> OUTPUT OF tail /var/log/wpa_supplicant AFTER RE-INSTALLING WIRELESS:
> Trying to associate with ##:##:##:##:##:## (SSID='XXXXXXXXXXX' freq=2427 MHz)
> Associated with ##:##:##:##:##:##
> WPA: Key negotiation completed with ##:##:##:##:##:## [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
> CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to ##:##:##:##:##:## completed (reauth) [id=0
> id_str=] WPA: Group rekeying completed with ##:##:##:##:##:## [GTK=CCMP]
> CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
>
> Here are the contents of all files in /etc/sysconfig related to wireless after
> the re-installation:
> http://pastebin.com/SgwctiXv
>
> Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,
System -> administration -> Network
delete your wlan interface, and be sure that it also
deletes /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
Of course back up the entire dir: /etc/sysconfig first.
then click New (to create a new interface)  and take it
from there. During that process, you will see an option
for the type of network - select managed (i.e you will be using something like wpa2-psk ,ccmp ..etc)
and also be sure that the kernel module for your wifi device is loaded:
lsmod | grep ??????   the-kernel-recognized-name-of-your-wifi-card
if not,  then
sudo modprobe ??????  (I do not know your card's name).
Also, be sure you remove the option -u from /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant
before you restart the network.
Once you finish,
be sure to do
sudo service network restart