Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jun 26 14:56:23 UTC 2010

Am 26.06.2010 16:47, schrieb Ed Greshko:
> On 06/26/2010 10:15 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> >
>> > Assuming this is correct, and is an effective safeguard,
>> > it seems a little surprising to me that it is not suggested
>> > somewhere in the Fedora-13 documentation.
>> > (Or maybe it is?)
>> >
> I have not found blacklisting to be particularly useful myself.  I
> wouldn't suggest it.  I've not researched all of the blacklisting
> services...but some of them are what I would call "hostile" or
> "xenophobic".  Besides, there is a certain level of overhead associated
> with using these.

Absolutely. If using an RBL it is important to understand that you pass
out the control over who's mail can come through to a third party where
you have no influence about. Spamhaus is certainly one of the good ones,
but they decide whom to list and you adopt that policy.

+1 for using a milter rather than using the dnsbl feature.

Alexander