Request for a K3B enhancement... multiple disk data splitting.

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 16:17:51 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 15:42 +0000, g wrote:
> > I meant "people mostly use tar and cpio for tasks other than backing
> up to
> > tape". This is self-evident given the huge number of tarballs (and
> some
> > cpio sets) available for download, which have nothing to do with
> tape
> > backup.
>
> i believe that this is because tar became a 'bad habit' and did not
> change
> to rpm when it came out because of rpm being more difficult to master.

Apples and oranges. Tar and rpm are not directly comparable. You can use
tar to distribute software to any platform, and also any other kind of
fileset. Rpm is specifically for distributing software to platforms that
are rpm-based.

I've never liked cpio (you use what you know) but that's a matter of
personal preference.

poc