A message from the Fedora Board to all of our users

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 01:00:36 UTC 2010

There have been recent discussions on this list surrounding the fact
that users feel left out of the Fedora decision making process. As the
Fedora leadership, we'd like to do nothing more than engage the user
community as key participants in constructive dialog around the
direction that Fedora Project takes.

As you may know, Fedora's strategic direction is led by the Board[1].
In stark contrast with most boards, we encourage open and active
communications with all of our constituents, and cannot operate in
isolation. We hold public meetings twice a month, which anyone is
welcome to join (or read the transcript afterwards, if the time is
inconvenient or you otherwise cannot attend).

Most importantly, we also have a public mailing list,
advisory-board at lists.fedoraproject.org[2]. The Board strives to
conduct most of it's business on this list, save for that which deals
with sensitive legal or personal issues which cannot be discussed in
public. As we strive to create a culture in Fedora where constructive
engagement is preferred, and non-constructive engagement is strongly
discouraged, there will be discussions on this list as to how best to
achieve that goal. We welcome and encourage the community (that means
YOU!) to participate constructively in these discussions by joining
the list and providing input.

It's important to note that the advisory-board list is not a forum for
discussing bugs or technical features of Fedora, but rather about
high-level project governance and community and contributor
empowerment.

We look forward to seeing some new faces around the list!

Jon, for the Fedora Board

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board