Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jun 27 11:17:21 UTC 2010

On 06/27/2010 06:39 PM, Tim wrote:
>  I don't mind people
> suggesting it, or implementing it well.  But it should be advised with
> the appropriate precautions that you will need to manually add some
> overrides.  And unless you monitor logs (many won't), or hear about
> problems in some other way (and many won't), you aren't going to know
> that mail isn't getting through.

You are absolutely correct.  People who have no concept of how email
works, the pros/cons of the various anti-spam techniques, think that
they can install a service but not monitor what is going on (or not
going on) have no business running an email server/service.

This not only goes for "home" users it also goes for companies.  I had
one client here in Taiwan where we had installed the internal email
system.  They used another vendor for their email gateway and installed
a Barracuda  appliance.   One day they called me to complain about
delayed emails and insisted that the internal system was to blame.  As
it turns out they had the Barracuda set to return rejected
mails...including those determined to be spam.  There were over 100K
messages in the outbound queue trying to go to non-existing servers.
The system was spending so much time and resources that inbound
processing was slowed to a crawl.  But since they were sold on the
"install and forget" by the Barracuda vendor.....
(Don't laugh, but the PHB's first thought was they needed to upgrade the
Barracuda to have more CPU/memory/disk.)

FWIW, most of the "delayed email" problems I've seen have been due to
network problems between the sending and receiving site and neither site
had control over it.  The delays have lasted for hours in some cases and
the uninformed and non-understanding could only conclude that it must be
either the sender or the recipient side to blame.

--
Fry: Things are different this time. Before she was demanding and
possessive, but now she wants me to do stuff and stay with her all the