F13 - Advanced Volume control

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 12:41:43 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Federico Marziali
<federico.marziali at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to the list again...
> While I'm still fighting with the display and nvidia drivers, I've
> come across another problem on my Sony Vaio, this time with the sound
> capture.
> Basically I can't get any of my microphones to record any input, nor
> the laptop built-in one, nor by connecting an external one.
>
> On F11 I fixed this by playing with the sound-card switches (I had to
> check the switch "3D Control"), but the problem is that I don't find
> the same entry under F13 - System - Preferences - Advanced Volume
> Control. The command was gst-mixer, if I'm not wrong...
>
> I tried to play also with the different parameters available through
> the command 'alsamixer -c0', but without success...any hints?

Maybe others have a better idea but it's rather difficult to
troubleshoot remotely :) You could try installing pavucontrol, which
has more options than the gnome sound control applet. Also, I would
try and figure out if your problem is ALSA or PulseAudio.

Richard