Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sun Jun 27 17:11:50 UTC 2010

On 06/27/2010 12:45 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
good so far, but I will report back in a couple more days...

> I wanted to mention that there are some in this posting that
> are recommending greylisting...  but have not said anything
> about how this is implemented into sendmail... so, what is
> your take on this?
>
> Thanks-
> Dan

  Some are strong proponents - I am not - in part as I have no real
world experience on a real server in part because I believe while it may
work well, I dont like the collateral damage.

   With GreetPause I am already causing a small delay which works very
well for those spammers/bots which are in violation of the standards.
However, I have carefully singled out all major email MX outbound hosts
for 0 greet pause. But greet pause is an SMTP delay waiting not a
rejection as gray listsing does. Graylisting leaves the mail delay in
the hands of the other end - I prefer the control in my hands.

  I want email coming through fast - when I'm on the phone with someone
and they say i just sent you the xxx .. i dont want to wait for it.

  Just my view -though with work graylisters should/could/and likely do
whitelist all relevant major isp's - I am not an advocate and on the
servers I control, I do not use it.

 gene/