Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon Jun 28 02:13:40 UTC 2010

On 06/27/2010 10:04 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 09:47 AM, Tim wrote:
>> On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 14:08 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
>>
> Maybe....maybe not....
>
> I just checked the logs from one client.  There were multiple spam with
> email addresses of yahoo.com, yahoo.co.jp, and hotmail.com.  In all
> cases they were sent from IP address totally unrelated to those domains
> and all were prevented from entering the system.

  Yep - makes sense - faked addresses ... as you say we're talking IP's
for whitelisting anyway.

hose records don't expire.

> Oh, FWIW, there is no such thing as an "outbound MX host".  :-)

  Yeh yeh .. Correct - strictly speaking MX is inbound - however, its
not uncommon to use the phrase - and in fact having MXO records might
even be useful - instead we have SPF ...

 If you prefer, one can instead say "the set of hosts which given mail
sending domain uses for its outbound mail".

 I prefer the obvious and simple 'outbound MX host' ... :-)

  But yes ...