hp-setup and samba printin g to a Windows 7 machine

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 08:53:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 13:24 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> F13 has hp 1020 as a device choice. The printed file appears in the
> Windows 7 printer queue but no printing occurs. Instead I get the
> following error:
> Printer 'HPLaserJ' : printer requires a binary plugin. run 'hp-setup'
>
> I am mystified what to do. There is no man page for hp-setup and I can't
> find any options to use to deal with this error.

When hpcups encounters that error it is supposed to set a special 'state
reason' on the queue, something like "hplip.plugin", and
system-config-printer-applet translates that into a readable string from
the PPD.

But it sounds like you didn't get that message show on your screen.
Maybe you aren't running system-config-printer-applet in your session?
(It does run by default...)

Anyway, there is an hp-plugin command that just downloads that
proprietary plugin.

Tim.
*/