F-13 printing problems -

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 30 21:48:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:01 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have been struggling with an attempt to print a crossword
>         puzzle for about an hour now.
>
>         I click on print and 20 seconds later the printer activity lamp
>         begins to blink, 40 seconds later it produces a copy. And that
>         is an improvement, up until a few minutes ago it simply refused
>         to print at all!
>
>         Everything happens in slow motion.
>
>         In desperation I booted as root in order to get cups to allow me
>         to do anything, I have never booted this computer as root
>         before, doing anything in cups is also very slow.
>
>         All of this worked before in F-12. The printers are network
>         printers on our LAN.
>
>         Another F-12 computer next to this one works normally. I just
>         switched that computer on and once booted I was able to print 2
>         copies each of 2 pages in a minutes time so the rest of the
>         system is working normally. The problem is peculiar to the F-13
>         computer.
>
>         I have gone through the troubleshooting process that pops up
>         numerous times over the last couple of days to no avail.
>
>         I think that in this case it might be simpler to wipe out
>         everything to do with printing and start over configuring with cups?
>
>         Am I the only one with this problem? Suggestions welcome?
>
>         Bob
>
>         .
>         --

Sincee these are netwotk priinters it seems the problem is probablhy
associated with network connectivity. Can you telnet to the printer at
port 631? I assume yoouu set up the printing on the teo printers
separately or is a print server involved. Trting too delete the pprinter
froom the F13 machine and reconfiguuring it would be worth tryiing. Is
other printiing from the F13 machine proceeding nnormally or is it also
slow?
Friendships last when each friend thinks he has a slight superiority
over the other. -- Honore DeBalzac
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net