Flash videos not playing in Fedora 11 firefox browser

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 22:39:17 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 6/30/10, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 09:51 -0700,
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > I tried to download flashplayer for linux from
> adobe website and
> > > downloaded this zip file. i extracted it and
> found that it contained
> > > only 1 file with .so extension (shared object).
> > >
> > > [snip]
>> > My guess--and it's only a guess--is that you
> downloaded the Windows
> > version of the flash plugin.  Zip is usually used
> by Windows.  Linux
> > uses .rpm, .tar.gz, and a few others, but rarely just
> plain ol' .zip.
>
> Zip is used for some Linux stuff, besides which the OP says
> he extracted
> a .so file, so it is for Linux.

As far as I've found Adobe doesn't distribute Flash for Linux in .zip.  Check the link I gave.  (The other OSes don't list endings, and I have no desire to download them all to check.)  Either the OP got a repackaged file from someone other than the real Adobe or it's for another OS that uses .so endings or something else?