info about how much memory ramfs is using

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 11:17:42 UTC 2010

Hello,
If I set a ramfs file system like this on a Fedora 12 system (but I think it
is the same in general):

mkdir /ramfs
mount -t ramfs -o size=10m ramfs /ramfs

I can see it via mount but not via df command.
[root at tekkaman ~]# mount
ramfs on /ramfs type ramfs (rw,size=10m)

As ramfs is dynamic and can go beyond initial set, how can I see how much
memory is using?
For example in my case where I set 10MB, I can do

[root at tekkaman ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/ramfs/testfile bs=1024k count=30
30+0 records in
30+0 records out
31457280 bytes (31 MB) copied, 0.0393341 s, 800 MB/s

But mount gives the same result
ramfs on /ramfs type ramfs (rw,size=10m)

Is there any other virtual file to show up its usage?

Thanks,
Gianluca