Using f13 rpms in f12?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:10:14 UTC 2010

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> I think at this point in time, you would also be committed to pulling in
> updates related to graphics driver support (mesa, xorg-x11, libdrm).
>
>> However there are now rpms in the development directories both for 13/
>> and
>> for rawhide/ (and i386 and x86_64) - is there a way to install an f13
>> (specifically), as opposed to rawhide, package in a system running f12?
>
> There is a boot iso. I use yum to upgrade two systems just after the
> branch.
> The F13 release package should point to the F13 repositories. The F14
> release package should point to rawhide.

OK a bit confused now - you mean that you "could" run f13 kernel in f12
provided you also installed the appropriate graphics packages?  If so what
would a suitable yum command be?

I guess your second comment regarding boot.iso would be if you wanted to
move a running f12 system onto rawhide or install rawhide from the boot.iso?
Or did you mean if you installed fedora-release-13-0.6.noarch.rpm within a
running f12 system then the repos would point to f13? On the other hand
installing fedora-release-rawhide-13-0.6.noarch.rpm would then pull in
rawhide packages?

Just needed to be clear what the various options did.