Using f13 rpms in f12?

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 22:24:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Mike Cloaked wrote:

> Originally I was wondering if you could just update enough from devel repo
> to run the f13 or f14 kernels in an otherwise unaltered f12 - but maybe this
> is a bit tricky to get right?

That is probably relative safe to do (provided you make sure you keep a
Fedora 12 kernel installed to go back to just in case) because kernels
have few dependencies. Possible difficulties include too-old kernel
install tools like dracut, and incompatible selinux or X versions.

If all you want is 2.6.32 then you can get that from the updates-testing
repository of Fedora 12 anyway. (The plan seems to be for F12 to go to
2.6.32 eventually, though presumably there have been technical and/or QA
issues stopping in happening so far).

 	Michael Young