Disk error??

L yuanlux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 00:30:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:02:41 +1100,
>  L <yuanlux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The hard disk on a laptop shows failing error "Disk had many bad
>> sectors' it suggests 'backup data and replace disk. Of course, this
>> test information was generated by Palimpsest Disk Utility on F12.
>> However, when I used self-test utility from BIOS (HP 6710), it passed
>> all tests.
>>

>> Which result is reliable, one from Palimpsest Dish Utility or BIOS
>> self-test utiltity?
>>
>> if this disk is failing, how can I check what section or partition
>> where errors reside?
>
> You probably want to use smartmontools to get a more detailed status of
> the drive. If there are sectors that need to be reallocated, you can
> find them one at a time using the long self test. The hard part is figuring
> out what file the block is in. If you are running raid 1, you can copy
> over the block from the other drive. Otherwise things depend on the file
> systems and block devices involved.

Thanks, I looked at a tutorial at

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html

question is related to this statement

In this example, the disk is failing self-tests at Logical Block
Address LBA = 0x016561e9 = 23421417. The LBA counts sectors in units
of 512 bytes, and starts at zero.

How to convert LBA = 0x016561e9 to 23421417?

--
http://etvillage.blogspot.com/