To upgrade or to change to a more 'stable' distrobution

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Mar 3 15:37:54 UTC 2010

Seann Clark wrote:

> The
> other system is too large, in terms of file system to effectively back
> up (3.2 Terabytes of space) given my current means, and that system is
> on Fedora 9. Using pre-upgrade in theory would work, but as I haven't
> used it, I am not sure how it would impact the box, especially the VM
> side of things, as I know the kvm functionality is changed just
> slightly. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Surely if you have 3.2TB of disk-space,
you much have enough space for a separate partition to install Fedora-12
in parallel to Fedora-9?

I'd just get a Fedora-12 Live CD, see if it works on its own,
and if it does install it on a separate partition.

In my experience, the chances of pre-upgrade from F-9 to F-12 working
are practically zero.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net