pulseaudio: no sound, Fedora 12, what debugging/diagnostic info is needed to solve this problem?

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:43:54 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 06:41:12 am Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
>   I simply had pulseaudio on mute :-)
>
>   Of course I found that out by using pavucontrol from the command
> line as that is not in my menu.

Shouldn't this be a very first step when troubleshooting audio problems? I
mean, check that speakers are turned on, that all volume controls are up and
that nothing is muted?

Usually pavucontrol goes under the name "PulseAudio Volume Control" in the
menus. But regardless of that, basically all available mixer apps should
handle the same pulseaudio controls, namely those that pavucontrol handles.
You should be able to use any of those, with same results.

Though I can say that pavucontrol is my personal preference.

HTH, :-)
Marko