Update broke network

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:58:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 09:39 -0500, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm sorry, I misspoke: this is Fedora 12.
>
>   I was able to start the network again, though network manager still
> thinks its broken and will in fact break it when I tell it to use
> eth0.
>
>   Remind me, what is network manager good for? I'm sure it does
> something useful, but so far I have only perceived it as something
> that causes trouble.

Are you perhaps mixing NM with the old network stuff (ifup, ifdown
etc.)? Also, note that NM needs to be told to manage an interface, via
system-config-network.

People complain a lot about NM, mostly because of the glaring lack of
documentation ("it just works" is not a useful statement to make in a
man page), but in fact I've found it quite functional.

poc

PS Remember not to top-post on the list.