rpm providing pdftopdf in fedora 12?

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 4 22:50:58 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 3/4/10, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:12:11 -0800
> (PST) Patrick Bartek
> <bartek047 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > --- On Thu, 3/4/10, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I seem to recall that there was a pdftopdf in
> Fedora 11
> > > (from what I
> > > recall). Which package provides this in Fedora
> 12?
> > >
> > > I tried yum provides */pdftopdf and yum provides
> */*/pdf
> > > and yum
> > > provides */bin/pdf and yum provides *bin/pdf to
> no avail.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > I'm confused.  Do you really mean pdftopdf?
> If you already have a pdf file, why the need to convert it
> to pdf?
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks very much! Good point. The trouble is that my pdf
> file is 12 MB
> long. The website for a journal will only accept 6MB. There
> are all
> these sites (Manuscript Central, EES, etc) which take a
> huge pdf file
> (such as 25 MB) lets say and convert it to something very
> small (such
> as 2 or 3 MB, lets say) so that it can go for peer review
> and they have
> to be using some conversion program. I was thinking that it
> is
> pdftopdf. But maybe not.

Thanks for the clarification, but I'm not aware of any native Linux utilities that do exactly what you want.

> Any suggestions?

Try pdftk, PDF Toolkit, or pdf-tools.  There are a lot of other 'yum info pdf*' or *pdf listings.

Also, does your journal site accept zipped files?  Since pdf is mostly plain text, zipping them can reduce their size considerably without changing the content.