rpm providing pdftopdf in fedora 12?

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 03:52:16 UTC 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 05:27:07 pm Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:12:11 -0800 (PST) Patrick Bartek
>
> <bartek047 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- On Thu, 3/4/10, Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu> wrote:
> > > I seem to recall that there was a pdftopdf in Fedora 11
> > > (from what I
> > > recall). Which package provides this in Fedora 12?

> Hi,
>
> Thanks very much! Good point. The trouble is that my pdf file is 12 MB
> long. The website for a journal will only accept 6MB. There are all
> these sites (Manuscript Central, EES, etc) which take a huge pdf file
> (such as 25 MB) lets say and convert it to something very small (such
> as 2 or 3 MB, lets say) so that it can go for peer review and they have
> to be using some conversion program. I was thinking that it is
> pdftopdf. But maybe not.

Do you have a lot of images there ? If so, what you may want to do is to
rasterize the images you have, in case you have images generated program in
some vector format (e.g PS). Rasterizing the images should make the PDF
smaller. This page has a pretty good discussion about it:
http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/pdf/

AC