My contribution (only the Knode issue)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Mar 6 05:13:16 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 12:31 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:
> >
> > Here's what Knode looked like when I opened it today:
> >
> > http://cjoint.com/?dgcNjJBH6c
> >
> > What's this:
> >
> > Loca...
> >   O...
> >   Sent
> >   Dr...
> >
> > Moving the vertical bar doesn't lengthen the names and I saw no option
> > in the menus for this. Anyway, it doesn't make sense. Why do "Loca"
> > and "Sent" have 4 letters whereas "O" has only one and "Dr" -- for
> > drafts, I suppose -- just 2? Even if there was an option in a menu,
> > I'm sure it couldn't create such a mess.
> >

> Could it be that you're not moving the correct "vertical bar"?
>
> I don't use knode, but I brought it up as a curiosity.   Looks somewhat
> like you describe above.  However, there is a very light line between
> "Name" and "Unread".  I positioned my mouse over that and clicked and
> held and adjusted the column width just fine.
>
> Are you saying that didn't work for you?  Or, are you trying to adjust
> using the wrong "bar"?
----
as is typical of all the 'kde' things (kmail, akregator, etc.), the left
panel does indeed use a vertical column divider that's hard to locate
but if you pass the mouse slowly, you will see <||> which indicates that
click & hold will adjust the column width. Also, the O... and Sent and
Dr... simply indicate what will actually fit in the column where the
ellipses is used to indicate more. If you just widen the window, the
column will self adjust anyway.

This isn't rocket science and it's clear that the KDE programs actually
anticipate that the user can figure this out by his/her self. Perhaps
the KDE suite doesn't design their UI to the lowest common denominator
that is seemingly incapable of deducing how to use their standard
panels.

Craig

believed to be clean.