My contribution (only the Knode issue)

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 06:16:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 11:31 PM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko at greshko.com> wrote:
> Marcel Rieux wrote:
>>
>> Here's what Knode looked like when I opened it today:
>>
>> http://cjoint.com/?dgcNjJBH6c
>>
>> What's this:
>>
>> Loca...
>>   O...
>>   Sent
>>   Dr...
>>
>> Moving the vertical bar doesn't lengthen the names and I saw no option
>> in the menus for this. Anyway, it doesn't make sense. Why do "Loca"
>> and "Sent" have 4 letters whereas "O" has only one and "Dr" -- for
>> drafts, I suppose -- just 2? Even if there was an option in a menu,
>> I'm sure it couldn't create such a mess.
>>

> Could it be that you're not moving the correct "vertical bar"?
>
> I don't use knode, but I brought it up as a curiosity.   Looks somewhat
> like you describe above.  However, there is a very light line between
> "Name" and "Unread".  I positioned my mouse over that and clicked and
> held and adjusted the column width just fine.

You are absolutely right! I was trying to move the same vertical bar
as in Thunderbird. But those are the default folder names. Why the
hell isn't the right column size defined by default? Why isn't the
very light line well defined as are, for instance, those that define
the fields in the Subject/From pane of Thunderbird?

The main reason I don't give KDE yet another try in its present state
of development is they made all graphics next to unreadable. For
instance, they make icons that look like miniature paintings and
encompassing the full gray scale. When they appear on a dark panel,
the dark ones disappear. When they appear on a light panel, the light
ones disappear.

I tried to get the interface fixed in the past but never came to a
solution that I found satisfactory. So, now, I tell myself the day I
open KDE and I see an interface I can read, I'm going to give it
another try.

I suppose it mustn't be a joy for you either, given your sight problems.

Why the hell is there always somebody ruining the show?

-------------------------------------

Here are a few other bugs I noted since I wrote this message:

There is a bug report here posted on 2007-03-25:

If a file or a folder is selected in Nautilus and you accidently press
Delete button, they are moved to the Trash.

NO warning is issued (even though in Nautilus Preferences "Ask before
emptying the Trash or deleting files" is selected )

Very annoying and dangerous bug to a common user - I deleted very
important data without realising then cleaned the Trash, so lost that
information.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/95853

That was 2 years ago and it's a very serious bug. Is it fixed on your
system? It's not on mine.

----------

I had permission problems with the files on my back-up and I had to
reinstall Thunderbird. I noticed that if you check the option "Check
for new messages at start-up", the group list doesn't download.

---------

Why does Nautilus use CTRL + H to show/hide hidden files while Dolphin
uses ALT + "." . Isn't there a standard that both could use? Is it
really necessary to have competition between Linux Desktop
environments?

----------

In Nautilus, when I'm in my /home directory, CTRL + H show hidden
files but, when I'm in /media (my back-up) CTRL + H folds all folders
and files in the upper level directory.

------------

In Nautilus, if I click a directory, sub-directories show, I click a
sub-dir, other sub-dirs show. I click the back arrow, *sometimes* all
sub-dirs fold, mainly when arriving at the ~ level?

------------

Etc., etc.

I could file 10 bug reports a day. It this the kind of crap they're
dealing with at the NYSE? Of course not! Linux is running the
infrastructure for transactions. For the desktop, everybody uses
Windows.

Can you imagine the kind of tantrum Steve Jobs would go in if he was
presented this kind of software? Man! Blood would be flying all over
the place!

Is Linux on the Desktop more than  a mirage?

P.s.: No time to re-read. I hope it makes sense :)