Additional instances of tomcat6 - how?

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Sat Mar 6 08:15:17 UTC 2010

Am 05.03.2010 17:38, schrieb Peter Boy:
> Hi,
>

> Am Freitag, den 05.03.2010, 13:21 +0100 schrieb Oliver Falk:
>> First question:
>>
>> Why do you want/need another instance? Want to run the same app (in
>> another version) on the same server!?
>
> There are 2 reasons:
>
> 1) During kind of (semi-)public testing of one of our Web assplications
> I sometimes have to restart the whole Tomcat. I would prefer not to
> affect the other applications.
>
> 2) Currently we are running a lot of applications in several virtual
> hosts of one Tomcat instance and I would like to have a better
> separation of some of them so a problem will not affect all the others
> (Tomcat is running as a backend to Apache via ajp here).

I usually achieve this via seperate context - you can reastart each app
seperatly. And (usually) the apps don't step on each other toes and a
broken app doesn't kill the whole Tomcat.

However. With multiple Tomcats I usually run multiple (virtual) servers.
In my old company we used to have seperate tarball-installs running from
/home/tomcat/<instancename>. Used to work fine as well - with a special
initscript that could start/stop all instances, as well as a specific
one. However, it was a update nightmare, as you can guess. Links would
have done a fine job in that case - I guess.

-of