Changing the DHCP address of a machine on my Local LAN

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 6 23:35:35 UTC 2010

On Saturday 06 March 2010, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 13:00 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
>> > I have a LAN at home of 4 machines. Up to yesterday all of them were
>> > getting their ip addresses from the DSL router I have at home. Suddenly
>> > one of the machines (an F12 machine) began to use ATT's DHCP server to
>> > get its ip address.
>> >
>> > I know there is a way to change that machine back to using the router
>> > at home to get DHCP service but I have forgotten how to do this. Can
>> > someone help me?
>>
>> 1. Don't use your neighbor's wireless.  Rename your wireless router so
>> you can easily pick it out.
>> 2. Use a cable and plug it directly into your router.
>
>I am not using my neighbors wireless. The machine is hard-wired to the
>router but does not use the router as a DHCP server. It did until this
>morning but now it does not. How does one change that behavior?

That depends on whether you are using fixed addressing, or the router has a
dhcp server in it.  I do both here, with an /etc/resolv.conf set as read
only, and pointing at my dd-wrt router, with a dhcp server enabled on the
router, basically for the lappy.  All other machines here use host files and
fixed addressing.  No dhcp listed in the ifcfg-portname files at all except
the lappy.

So check the server settings in the router, and its NAT settings too if the
above doesn't tickle a memory.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)