sound card not detected on FC12 out of the blue

Emerson French helpertcell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 01:49:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

It has been several years (literally) since I have had major sound problems
under Linux, since sound support has gotten much better. However, my sound
recently stopped working, and I'm mystified. I'm using an HP Pavilion
dv9700, which I believe uses an Intel HD audio card. I've gone through a few
kernel upgrades on this machine recently, but support for these cards is
enabled, so I can't imagine that's the issue. My sound card isn't listed on
inspection of /proc/asound/cards and /dev/dsp is missing, though with the
deprecation of OSS maybe this isn't even an issue. I'm pretty familiar with
Linux, but not so much with sound cards, so I'm not really sure where to
begin in resolving this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.