sound card not detected on FC12 out of the blue

Alessandro Brezzi alessandro.brezzi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 08:55:39 UTC 2010

2010/3/7 Emerson French <helpertcell at gmail.com>

> I downgraded to 2.6.31.5-127 and I still have the same issue. The odd thing
> is that the slider volume control on my keyboard still "works" in the sense
> that the computer knows to adjust the volume--but it just goes to a dummy
> output device. I notice that the hda-related modules aren't loaded, so I
> tried loading those. No success there, however. It might be useful to note
> that I was trying to get a USB TV tuner to work earlier--in so doing perhaps
> something went wrong with the sound modules.
>

> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 1:23 AM, David Christopher Chipman <
> dchipman at ican.net> wrote:
>
>> Emerson French wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > It has been several years (literally) since I have had major sound
>> problems
>> > under Linux, since sound support has gotten much better. However, my
>> sound
>> > recently stopped working, and I'm mystified. I'm using an HP Pavilion
>> > dv9700, which I believe uses an Intel HD audio card. I've gone through
>> a few
>> > kernel upgrades on this machine recently, but support for these cards is
>> > enabled, so I can't imagine that's the issue. My sound card isn't listed
>> on
>> > inspection of /proc/asound/cards and /dev/dsp is missing, though with
>> the
>> > deprecation of OSS maybe this isn't even an issue. I'm pretty familiar
>> with
>> > Linux, but not so much with sound cards, so I'm not really sure where to
>> > begin in resolving this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> Hi Emerson,
>>
>> It sounds like you have a kernel issue. Do you remember when the sound
>> stopped working? If you do, and you have multiple kernels installed, I
>> would try booting the system with an earlier kernel
>> (Command line: rpm -qa --last kernel ).
>>
>> See if that fixes the sound issue. Good luck,, and let us know (or
>> file a bug in bugzilla under "kernel")
>>
>> -David

Hi,
after much searching, I've found a solution for my laptop HP dv3-2130el
sound problem in the Ubuntu forum. The modprobe.d/ structure is different,
so I've modified /etc/modprobe.d/dist-alsa.conf adding the following line:

*options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5 enable_msi=1
*
Please, note there are different value for the model= parameter and I've not
found a good source of documentation helping the choice.
Try google with the specific string model of your laptop and "sound+linux"
The problem here arise from the chip-set being a Family with different
implementation schema; similar products (eg Pavillion dv from HP) may use
different values.
HTP

--
Alessandro Brezzi