Changing the DHCP address of a machine on my Local LAN - SOLVED

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 7 13:52:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 17:10 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
> On 03/06/2010 05:01 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 15:22 -0600, Mikkel wrote:
> >> Check the configuration of the router. You can also try to reset the
> >> router. Outside of giving the machine a static IP address, there is
> >> not much you can do on the machine. This is NOT a problem with the
> >> Linux machine - it is a router problem.
> >>
> >> If you want to know why this is a router problem, find some good
> >> documentation on how DHCP works. The machine making the request
> >> responds to the first DHCP server that replies...
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >
> > I agree with your analysis of the problem. But that leaves us with the
> > following mystery.. There are 4 machines on the LAN. Why does only the
> > one get a response from the providers DHCP server first? Also why this
> > only occurred this morning after using the routers DHCP server for 6
> > months?
> >
> Well, if your router is configured to be the dhcp server, then it
> should not allow dhcp traffic to reached the WAN side.
Mikkel reminding me how DHCP works allowed me to solve the problem. It
turns out that one  can configure the Firewall settings of the 2WIRE
router from ATT to allow the DHCP  server from ATT to be seen by the
machines in the local LAN. Change the Firewall setting and the problem
goes away. Why is only one machine is affected by the ATT  DHCP server.
Ii don't know but I suspect it is related to the fact that the affected
machine is the only one hardwired to the router. That is just a guess.

Anyway thanks to Mikkel.
I feel like I am sharing a ``CORN-DOG'' with NIKITA KHRUSCHEV ...
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net