Fedora 12: Cannot boot with kernel-2.6.32.9-67.fc12.x86_64

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Mar 8 18:38:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:19:52 -0600
Rick Sewill <rsewill at gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions please:
> 1) Are there 3 drivers, nvidia, nv, nouveau?

Yes.

> 2) If there are 3 drivers, how did people decide which driver to use?

The Fedora default is 'nouveau'.

>    My questions on this subject, are as follows:
>    a) Is the nouveau driver now considered better than the nv driver?
>       If the nouveau driver is considered better, I am curious why?

Yes. It's maintained actively and is making rapid improvements.
The nv driver is hardly maintained anymore.

>    b) Is it true the nvidia driver is faster than the nouveau driver?

In Fedora 12 the nouveau driver has no 3d. The binary only non free
nvidia one does.

>       I wanted to use the "free" driver, if possible, so I was using
> nv. I switched to nouveau because that seemed to be the new default.
>       I am wondering what I am giving up not using the nvidia driver.

3d.

However, Fedora 13 should have 3d support in nouveau for lots of cards.

kevin