UID mapping for NFS

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Mar 10 00:43:59 UTC 2010

I have a few systems on site which have common users installed with "wrong" UID
values from the rest of the machines, and particularly those installed from a
"live" CD which created one or more odd IDs when "install to disk" was used.

I remember using "UID mapping tables" to cause an NFS access from "joe" on the
client to use the UID of "joe" in the request sent to the NFS server. I can't
recall if that was in Linux, or some other OS, I was supporting Xenix, AIX,
Solaris, SunOS, and HP-UX at the time. Oh, and Dell's brief jump into SV5r4 on PC.

If this is supported it would be miles easier than shuffling the UIDs on the
clients, obviously. I though there was a mount option but I don't see it, and
it's been a good decade since I did this and I can't remember details.

I thought I was remembering the map_static option, but it is not recognized in
exports, not are map_daemon or no_map_identity.
(see: http://ftp.sunet.se/LDP/LDP/nag2/x-087-2-nfs.exports.html)

What do I miss, the doc says it's there, the software disagrees.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>