lzma compression on official isos vs Deltaisos

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 04:48:10 UTC 2010

--- On Tue, 3/9/10, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: lzma compression on official isos vs Deltaisos
> To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 8:35 PM
>

> --- On Tue, 3/9/10, Andre Robatino <andre at bwh.harvard.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Andre Robatino <andre at bwh.harvard.edu>
> > Subject: lzma compression on official isos vs
> Deltaisos
> > To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> > Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 8:31 PM
> > Starting with Fedora 12, RPM packages
> > are compressed using XZ instead of
> > gzip.  As a result, the F12 ISOs are smaller:
> >
> > F11 DVD sizes (bytes):
> > i386: 3683829760
> > ppc: 4606894080
> > x86_64: 4268124160
> >
> > F12 DVD sizes (bytes):
> > i386: 3204427776
> > ppc: 3738935296
> > x86_64: 3537600512
> >
> > See
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XZRpmPayloads
> >

> > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>
> Yes, But I must ask again, rpm is using xz compression, but
> can it be recompressed again with xz, xz is already present
> in Fedora 11/Fedora 12/Fedora 13 Alpha/Fedora Rawhide and
> 7zip can open/extract the files too.   The
> rpms are xz compressed but the isos are not.  That is
> what I am asking, or is it too much compression?  When
> is so much too much?
>
> Thanks for taking the time to answer :)
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

Andre/others on list,

The question is why doesn't Fedora use xz compression on the isos like TeXLive2009 did it with their isos?  If they were to be done like that how does the compression match vs the Deltaisos that you kindly provide for many Fedora users?

I ma sorry if I was not clear in my original question.

Regards,

Antonio