fc12 create initramfs contaning twofish kernel module

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Mar 10 17:37:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 21:18:07 +0100,
  Jeffrey Kelling <overlordapophis at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed fc12 on an existing Twofish-encrypted LVM containing /home
> and / as logical volumes. The installation went well, but the system won't
> start because the initramfs misses module 'twofish-common'.

It's a bit late now, but using AES might have been a better option.

> How can I add the missing module to the initramfs? I was not able to find a
> working HowTo for dracut. Issuing
> > dracut /boot/myinit
> from the live-CD in a chroot to the system on disc did produce an initramfs
> containing an empty directory tree.

The man page suggests that -m can be used to specify modules that should be
included. I haven't tried that myself though.

> Furthermore, I was not able to find any further options when creating an
> encrypted filesystem in anaconda, did I miss something there?

I think the idea there was to pick something reasonable and not provide a
way for people to shoot themselves in the foot. If you really care, you
can set up the luks devices before doing the install and you should be able
to use them by supplying the key for them. If that doesn't work, it's probably
a bug that should be reported.

You could try filing an RFE against anaconda that it determine the modules
needed for any luks devices used during the install and make sure there are
included in the initramfs image that gets built.