flash on www.nbc.com

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 18:06:24 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 3/10/10, Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/10/2010 12:18 AM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> > Yes, I know.  If you're running the GNOME
> desktop, you'll get gnome-mplayer front-end as well as
> mplayer when you yum install mplayer.  If you use KDE,
> I assume you'll get the kmplayer front-end instead.
> >

> Yes, I have. I removed the old mplayer-gui when I found it
> unnecessary.
> kmplayer works fine.
>

> >> I installed that, from the repositories, after
> removing all
> >> totem
> >> plug-ins and applets.
> >>
> > What does 'about:plugins' report in your
> browser?  What 'addons' do you have?  Some sites
> like CBS.com won't play if you have an ad-blocker, but on my
> system, it tells me that.
> >

> about:plugins is a very lengthy report that shows that
> mplayerplug-in/gecko-mediaplayer is active and will support
> every suffix
> that I can remember, plus a few I never heard of.
>
> Interestingly, the VLC plug-in and the gecko-mediaplayer
> support many of
> the same suffixes. Is that a problem?

There could be a conflict.  Stranger things have happened.  Try disabling the VLC plugin: (in Firefox) Tools->Addons, click 'Plugins', click VLC and disable.  Quit and restart Firefox.  Check 'about:plugins' to verify VLC-plugin is disabled.

> Flash supports swf and spl only.

That's all it should support:  just flash files.

> >> I still cannot play any videos on
> Foxnews.com--though I
> >> can
> >> play them on the NBC channels mentioned, and on
> any other
> >> channel.
> >>
> > At this moment, I'm at a loss as to a cause or a
> fix.  They both work on my system.
> >
> > Have you tried re-downloading (from Adobe) the
> flash-plugin--it could be corrupted--and reinstalling
> it?  Both Foxnews and NBC use plain-vanilla flash.

> I wouldn't have thought that that would be an issue.

Best to eliminate all possibilities no matter how remote.  Too bad Adobe doesn't list checksums for the flash downloads.