UID mapping for NFS

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 19:35:10 UTC 2010

Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:
> I have a few systems on site which have common users installed with
> "wrong" UID values from the rest of the machines, and particularly
> those installed from a "live" CD which created one or more odd IDs
> when "install to disk" was used.

In theory NFSv4 does the remapping, but I coudn't find it either.  It
was far easier and faster to run a "find / -user uid -print" and just fix
up the uids.

It is things like this I miss from netbsd and openbsd.  They assigned
UID's to all their packages (eg. rpm's) and it didn't matter which order
one installed things in, the UID's were always the same.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3