Problem with apache virtual host in new fedora 12 installation

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Mar 11 00:39:24 UTC 2010

On 03/10/2010 06:30 PM, Richard Cahilig wrote:
> Yes. The user apache able to access /home/user. I even tried to changed
> the owership to user apache and group apache but I still have error 403.
>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Steven Stern
> <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com <mailto:subscribed-lists at sterndata.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     On 03/10/2010 05:25 PM, Richard Cahilig wrote:
>     > Its stange because I don't have any .htacces file. What I have
>     inside my
>     > web directory is a single index.html file and its permission is
>     777. The
>     > user home directory is already world executable by default.
>     >
>     >
>     > On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Craig White
>     <craigwhite at azapple.com <mailto:craigwhite at azapple.com>
>     > <mailto:craigwhite at azapple.com <mailto:craigwhite at azapple.com>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 06:55 +0800, Richard Cahilig wrote:
>     >     > Hi,
>     >     >
>     >     > I have problem with my new apache virtual host setup in my
>     fedora 12
>     >     > server. I can't access it in the browser and I am receiving
>     error 403.
>     >     > Please see the error below in my error_log.
>     >     >
>     >     >         [Thu Mar 11 14:24:40 2010] [crit] [client 127.0.0.1]
>     >     >         (13)Permission denied: /home/user/.htaccess
>     pcfg_openfile:
>     >     >         unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable
>     >     >         [Thu Mar 11 14:24:45 2010] [crit] [client 127.0.0.1]
>     >     >         (13)Permission denied: /home/user/.htaccess
>     pcfg_openfile:
>     >     >         unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable
>     >     >         [Thu Mar 11 14:24:48 2010] [crit] [client 127.0.0.1]
>     >     >         (13)Permission denied: /home/user/.htaccess
>     pcfg_openfile:
>     >     >         unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable
>     >     >
>     >     > I already disabled se linux and change the ownership of the
>     >     > "/home/user/public_html" directory to user "user" and group
>     "user". I
>     >     > also change the file permission to 777 but I'm still having
>     error 403.
>     >     > Please see my virtual host config below:
>     >     >
>     >     >         NameVirtualHost *:80
>     >     >         <VirtualHost *:80>
>     >     >             ServerAdmin root at localhost
>     >     >             DocumentRoot /home/user/public_html
>     >     >             ServerName example.com <http://example.com>
>     <http://example.com>
>     >     >             ServerAlias www.example.com
>     <http://www.example.com> <http://www.example.com>
>     >     >             ErrorLog /home/user/logs/error_log
> [...]

I'm a firm believer that, after some time, pounding one's head against
the wall is pointless.

Why not change the DocumentRoot to /var/www/user and give apache:user
access to /var/www/user?

mkdir /var/www/user
chown apache:user /var/www/user
cd /home/user
ln -s /var/www/user pubic_html

That way, the files are easily accessible to "user" and the files are
really in a place that httpd and selinux are happy with.

--
-- Steve