gmpc sound not working

birger birger at birger.sh
Thu Mar 11 17:27:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 10:13 -0700, Wendell Nichols wrote:
> Auggggh!  I finally understand!  The people who wrote the mpd (music
> player daemon) and the clients created a fully networked architecture
> for playing music where the DAEMON PLAYS THE MUSIC!
> This is not streaming media at all.  The daemon has to be on your local
> machine which completely defeats the purpose of consolidating your music
> on a central server.  I started all this because playing music off nfs
> mounts caused all sorts of problems when I put my laptop on and off the
> docking station (network interruption and nfs problems galore!).
> I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would set out to architect
> it this way but its usless to me :(

In 'landscape' type offices it is ideal. Instead of everyone playing
their own music, people forgetting to turn off the music when they go,
etc... Set up one system with decent speakers and mpd. Then everyone can
add music to the queue, pause it when needed (boss on the phone) and so
on.

Ideal for any setting where you want one dedicated system to power the
music but distributed control. Not what you wanted. Wrong tool :-)

birger