readline + binding; still frustrated after 4 yrs of trying

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu Mar 11 23:58:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:41:41 -0500
William Case wrote:

> ]$ ^V then Alt-Ctrl+b returns "^["
> cat returns nothing.

Speaking of what the terminal is sending, I have indeed
often been confused by "helpful" terminal apps and
distro modified default configs that cause the terminal
apps to send totally wacky nonsense when some key is
pressed (as near as I can tell because that was the personal
preference of the maintainer and therefore everyone should
benefit from his preferences being the dedault). Often
keys you are absolutely certain will send one thing
actually send something else. I don't know if it
explains any of your problems, but it has certainly
caused me to waste lots of time in the past.