Problem with an external usb HD - slow usb

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Fri Mar 12 11:36:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's likely that the disk came with a special driver for Windows,
> whereas the Linux version is using a generic driver. I'd guess the
> answer is probably in the Windows driver code, but of course it will be
> binary and proprietary so it's of no use to anyone.

There are lots of I/O devices that claim to comply with some published
protocol, but really don't.  Some operating systems deal with this by
providing special-case code for particular devices that, while
strictly speaking violate the protocols, at least get the device
working for the user.  Many devices provide unique vendor and device
IDs that can be used to know when such workarounds need to be
activated.

I know that Linux includes such code to support otherwise broken
microprocessors.  I don't know whether it also provides support for
broken USB storage devices.

A specific example is that I can recall a post to one of the FreeBSD
lists which mentioned the addition of a special workaround for the
Kingston USB Flash drives.

Don Quixote
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha