Is KDE dead ? Was Re: Stable Release Updates

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 13 20:58:34 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 3/13/10, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Is KDE dead ? Was Re: Stable Release Updates
> To: "Community support for Fedora users" <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Saturday, March 13, 2010, 12:45 PM
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Gene
> Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I am happily running the last kde-4 stuff you
> shipped to F10.  Other
> > than I can crash kmail by standing on the + key for a
> while, it hasn't
> > dirtied its playground ever.  However, one of the
> more recent updates managed
> > to kill OOo-3.2 and I had to remove it completely and
> re-install it to get
> > the office menu's back.  Used to be that could be
> edited by mere mortals, but
>
> What is the view of current users of KDE 4.4.0 in
> F12?  Is it now a
> really good desktop that has everything a user could wish
> for, easily
> customisable, and good support for plasma widgets,
> customised desktop
> icons to launch programs, and easy to navigate to what you
> want to
> run?
>
> --
> mike c
> --

I'll tell you my unbiased $0.02 of the trend.

1) I don't have a problem with either Gnome/KDE I have both on my machines and use either one, but lately I have been using KDE a little more

2)  In Fedora 9, KDE was unusable, even though I tested it in rawhide and got to know its ins and outs a bit.  Also the machine I wanted to use it in, KDE simply did not load, for Fedora 10, the same story, so I used GNOME there on that machine.  Now that machine which did not like KDE on Fedora 9, Fedora 10, it ran KDE for Fedora 11 for a little while now it is running rawhide and has KDE and it is working beautifully except:

(1) that nepo???? crap is annoying
(2) Good that Fedora 12 has kept using k3b 1.0.5 because the k3b 1.68, k3b 1.70 are not *that good*, only thing I see working well is kile 2.0.b3 and still beta.  The k3b does not see the audio codecs and gives me the mp3 error frequently(it is problem on Rawhide though) on Fedora 12 this is fine.
(3) The old KDE 3.5.X Digital clock is still missed, The new clock is OK, I know it is *JUST a CLOCK*, but I really liked the old one as opposed to the one that is out there.  There's not much I can do, because BUGZILLA, RFE's, whatever, people dont give a fsck about a clock and I wish more people would join me and ask for the old digital clock which looked beautiful as opposed to the one that is present.

GNOME is at a comfort zone as I run it on one machine, but *WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN* when Gnome decides to test out a major change(s), hope it is not like the switch to KDE 4.0 because it was not FUN :(

Regards,

Antonio