Deafening silence

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 04:54:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Russell Miller <duskglow at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 13 March 2010 02:21:35 pm Marcel Rieux wrote:

> I use Fedora.  I even somewhat like Fedora.

I suppose we do. Otherwise, we'd be using another distro. Does this
mean that, because maybe 20% of the 1% Linux users on the net use Red
Hat or Fedora, Google won't, in 5 or 10 years from now, wipe Fedora
off the map? Unfortunately not.

If I didn't care about Fedora, I just wouldn't care. I'd watch it
crumble to crumbs and move to whatever is available at the time. But I
care because I believe Fedora has potential.

This said, what I'm discussing here is Fedora's development model vs
Google's development model. I suppose that as usual, most people's
answers will be just bashing. I won't answer this. If anybody can
explain how fiercely fixing bugs will hinder Google's development, I'm
ready to listen.

I want to discuss facts. I said having a default repository for
software that is judged top by users would probably wipe out half the
go nowhere projects off the map and make the rest really struggling to
get to the default directory. I didn't get a single answer about this.
So, what sense does it make to answer that Fedora is just repackaging
software made by developers it has no control upon? Where does this
lead?

Nowhere. Still, this is the kind of answer some people here seem to
favor. It's not my case. What use is it discussing all the "it's no
use" opinions?

I don't get to Red Hat's offices every day and it's hard for me to
figure out how things could work better, but this also came to my
mind.

I believe Red Hat participates to the kernel development. If the fact
that my BIOS options are not available is kernel related, maybe, after
something really think he has fixed the problem, I could test the new
kerenl on my hardware. a database would be needed for this. But, as a
non-developer, I'm certainly not going to join the release early,
release often stampede in Rawhide. Even subscribing to Test Updates
would be way too risky for me. But, for my hardware, I'd be ready to
test.

Of course, the brawlers will answer "And who will organize the
database? You, maybe?" Of course not! But, weird as I am, I do believe
that, though you might spend time getting organised, in the end, it
pays off.

Anybody interested in discussing solutions is welcomed.