Deafening silence

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 12:42:43 UTC 2010

On Sunday 14 March 2010 05:07:53 am Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 04:56 +0000, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > >
> > > IE?
> >
> > Short for "Id Est". You know, Latin acronyms... ;-)
>
> Oh, you mean i.e. (not strictly an acronym, but never mind). It has to
> be written with the periods.

Yes, it should be, at least as far as English grammar goes. In other languages
the dots may or may not be present, it depends. For example, I am used to
writing only the second dot, like "ie.", because that is proper in my
language. I know, in English it's wrong, but habits get their way... :-)

And there is also the spell checker issue --- whenever it sees "ie" it offers
to replace it with "IE". I ignore it, but some people might think it should be
written capitalized.

> I first thought it meant Internet
> Explorer ...

Yeah, my first thought was exactly the same. But then I gave it another try,

Best, :-)
Marko