Deafening silence

Raymond C. Rodgers sinful622 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 16:48:58 UTC 2010

On 03/13/2010 06:26 PM, Russell Miller wrote:
> On Saturday 13 March 2010 02:21:35 pm Marcel Rieux wrote:
>
>> In thread starting with
>>
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-March/367987.html
>>
>> I stated a skewer of bugs. Geeks answered it was normal to have bugs
>> like, for at least 2 years now, "New Files" entering the clipboard
>> every time a new file is created. It would also be normal to have no
>> option to be advised of files being sent to Trash in Nautilus before
>> they join the 1000 ones already there, because they don't want to be
>> bothered with unchecking an option. They have no problem with
>> clipboard managers never working perfectly well, soon as they have a
>> sleuth of them: glipper, klipper, clipman, whatever. And so on.

> I have noticed the same thing.  I no longer bother submitting bugs to Fedora.
> It is true that in some of the bugs I submitted I did not provide enough
> information.  However, in the bugs that I did, they just languished completely
> until the software was EOLed, when the bugs was automatically closed.
>
> Unresolved.  IE, still broken three releases later.
>
> I use Fedora.  I even somewhat like Fedora.  Apart from the fact that I'm
> taking my data into my hands with every release (from 11 to 12 I lost all my
> data on trying to upgrade), and the fact that things randomly break, bug
> reports do no good, and every now and then three releases later they'll
> randomly fix themselves, it's a pretty cool OS.  But I don't bother
> contributing to it.  I just install, and hope it all works out.
>
> --Russell

That's more or less my situation as well, and I'm frankly getting tired
of it. I'd say I might move on to another distro altogether, but in my
humble opinion Fedora seems to be the best of the distros, so moving on
wouldn't do anything for me. As much as I hate to say or even think it,
becoming a full time Windows servant is sadly looking more attractive...
At least my sound didn't just stop working for no reason in Windows a
few weeks ago like it did in Fedora. (For *that* problem, I simply
bought a cheap SB X-Fi card, but even then it doesn't work as well in
Fedora as it does in Windows.)

Raymond