[OT] Deafening silence

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Mar 15 03:03:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 13:37 +1100, Roger wrote:
> On 03/14/2010 09:58 AM, Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 17:21 -0500, Marcel Rieux wrote:
> >
> >> Honestly, I never thought that I'd find this kind of communist planned
> >> economy reasoning within the advocates of a company listed on the
> >> NYSE. Of course, I'm not a geek, not even a suit, so I know nothing.
> >>

> I just use Fedora, I fiddle with it, break it, fix it, and it just works
> well for my meagre desires. Scribus, Blender, OO.org, audacity, playing
> CD's making DVD's, Making slide shows, Firefox and Thunderbird, Gimp,
> FTP, Drupal, all just work, no hassles, no problems and mine is a basic,
> generic, cobbled together computer which I built, as were all my other
> computers.
>
> If I had a gripe it would be SeLinux does not have intelligence to know
> that I can use Drupal in a /home/directory while remaining secure but
> that's a configuration problem. I live with it because I don't know how
> to fix, after trying.
>
> I don't care that things are not perfect as long as it provides services
> that I can understand or explore and allows me to get the jobs done.
> What I like a lot is that I have permission to fiddle, to experiment, to
> learn. That and I am part of a luvlist of people who will help.
>
> I upgrade apps when they arrive and don't seem to have the problems that
> others have with upgrades, I have a working copy of my home directory in
> fedora 12 86x64, have no qualms about copying my stuff back and forth.
>
> I don't care about Red Hat Inc. Rants aren't even humorous any more.
>
> Fedora is experimental, live with it, like it, or not!. I like Fedora.
>
> One thing I have learned from watching the types of problems users
> experience. It seems to me that the computer may be as much, if not more
> to blame than the operating system.
> Anyway that's my seriously off topic $5.50c worth.
> Roger
----
well I've found the selinux list to be a much better place to get help
with selinux stuff than this list but I would expect that if you had put
drupal stuff into /var/www and made a soft link in /home to that
directory you would have not had any issues with selinux at all. If you
try to move the files now, I would suspect that they would have to be
relabeled since they probably have home contexts and not html contexts
(man restorecon) and that would have to be fixed. I think you can also
set a boolean operator to tell it that you are serving html pages from
users home directories but I'm not sure from your description that you
actually have drupal in a users folder.

Craig

believed to be clean.