Fedora 12 installing

Patrick Bartek bartek047 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 04:34:44 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 3/14/10, Mikkel <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/2010 02:55 PM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> >
> > That works only if the GUI is working. What do you do
> when X is
> "hung" part way through start up, and you want to drop back
> to the
> terminal to see if you can fix it or scope the problem? No
> Ctrl-Alt-Del enabled to do that. Real smart.
> >
> > For everyone's info: Fedora 12 is the first of the
> Fedoras (been
> using it since 3 over 2 machines) that didn't screw up the
> configuration during the install, causing the reboot to
> hang when
> the X-server started, forcing me to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to
> the
> terminal to manually configure it. And I didn't have to use
> the
> nvidia graphics driver from Fusion either. Nouveau worked
> out of the
> box. (I don't have a 3D card. Don't do 3D eye candy,
> either. A waste
> of CPU cycles.)
> >
> I hope the Ctrl-Alt-Del was supposed to be
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.
> Anyway, if Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is turned off, you can still
> use
> Ctrl-Alt-Fx to get to a CLI terminal.

Yes.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, not Del.

I have noted, and mentioned previously, that if you boot to a terminal, runlevel 3, then 'startx' to start up the GUI, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is enabled.  At least, it was on my set up.  I used it numerous times the first couple of weeks when I was configuring and shaking down F12, and wanted to quit X, and drop back to the terminal I initially booted into.