How to Install Nvidia Driver in Fedora12?

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 06:09:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 8:54 PM, ka1ifq <ka1ifq at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> "On 08:30:12 pm Marcel Rieux <m.z.rieux at gmail.com> said"
>>
>> Maybe I should add that, if I were you, I'd forget about Nvidia
>> drivers altogether. Nvidia offers no support for Linux and, since it's
>> not open source, you don't get much from the community either. Even if
>> the community wanted, without the source code, it would be minimal.
>>
>> My advice: stay with Nouveau.
>
> I use an Nvidia GeForce 6150 on another flavor of Linux and it works great,
> even with effects turned on.
> ymmv.

I was undoubtedly impatient when I wrote this: 3D works perfectly here
too. The problem is getting 2 screens to play well together and
getting sound to the TV through the HDMI cable, even with the S/PDIF
wire installed.

As for hardware accelerated 3D, as I wrote to Fred Williams, it seems
in the works, though it might take some time before it's stable. So,
one has to estimate if he's interested in wobbly windows and The Cube
to the point of making updates uncertain.

While researching for my answer here, I also found this at rpmfusion:

To use the default initrd, but disable the nouveau driver, edit
/etc/grub.conf and add the following to the end of the line(s)
starting with 'kernel':

  rdblacklist=nouveau

===================

Though I updated to Fedora 12, I don't have this line in grub.conf,
but I'm far from sure this is causing the problem.

What are the advantages of using the defautl initrd and disabling the
nouveau driver, I have no idea, No doubt a few hours of search at
Google's would provide the answer, but I'm getting fed up.

I could add the line but, just in case adding this would get me to a
blank screen -- who knows? -- I want to make sure I can mount the
/boot partition with the Fedora LiveCD. I'm used to doing this with
Knoppix, which mounts partitions with just a few check marks. But, on
my system, Knoppix 6.2.1 boots to a blank screen on my system, just as
Ubuntu does.

So much fun, just to find out what is the purpose of this incomplete
documentation! Fun that I would most probably would not have with
Windows :)

( I put a smiley. I hope Ed Gresko will be satisfied :) <= Other smiley. )