gnome stickynotes applet replacement

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Mar 16 14:45:45 UTC 2010

Neil Bird wrote:
>     Can anyone explain the deal with the GNOME sticky notes applet and its
> disappearance in Fedora 12?

My limited understanding of it is that the sticky-notes applet was being
changed to support scrolling windows and other new features, but suffers
from a crashing bug that prevents its usage. Instead of fixing the bug
the configure lines to build it were commented out!

I copied in the previous version code with a custom RPM and I am happily
using sticky notes. I cannot use gnotes or Tomboy as I do not like the
space taken up by the menu bars and the task tray. I keep my notes
always displaying, not hidden. If I find time I'll try to fix the
crashing bug or create a patch to use the older code. However, the older
code isn't much better as there seems to be a nasty bug where the notes
are deleted upon rebooting at random.