Rolling Release Model(s), Fedora Discussion

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Tue Mar 16 16:59:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 08:58 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> On 03/16/2010 02:37 AM, John Austin wrote:
> > I look forward to a clean start every six months
> > 20 minute install - pleasure getting it back to how I like it !!
> >
> > John
> >

> Obviously you don't use your machine for anything resembling work.
> I tend to wait for up to half a year past the new release for all the
> bugs to be worked out. Radeon support, for instance, was nonexistent a
> few releases back. And don't get me started on the toy version of KDE.

There is some truth in your statement re work however
its easy to have separate partitions for each release
as small as 20GB is OK, then on a 500GB disk you can keep
20 previous releases and boot them as required!

/home, /global, ... on a Centos 5.4 server gives you the stability
you desire.

Yes I had problems with F12 nvidia and a few other things
but in general Fedora supports the latest hardware and is almost
always running smoothly in pretty quick time.

The amount of effort put into each release always amazes me.

If real stability was your aim then you wouldn't be using Fedora !

John